Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Harris is 4 months

So yesterday Harris got an appointment in KK to check on his weight. This month got no vaccination. Actually it was husband's turn to be on leave to take him but too bad his boss rejected his leave. So its me then. You know when dealing with infants, alone, its kinda hard. But I have to learn and handle him. We both do that. Back when Harris was ill and have to be taken to the clinic, I was unwell too, so Fir took him to the clinic all by himself. This needs teamwork of course. Since Harris is fully breastfeeding, I make sure that before he went to clinic, he is fully breastfeed so he wont be asking for more for about 2 hours. But we also cant predict that because during that time, Harris was having sore throat and he keep wanting for milk most of the time. But alhamdulillah, Harris has always been a very good baby though. Like super duper good and behaving well most of the time. Even when he's not feeling well and wanting milk, he'll just whine a bit. No heavy crying. Even if got, it happens like few times only.

Anyways, so yesterday I have to take Harris to clinic, alone. Well, its not my first time though. Its not that husband didnt want to help, but his work demand is unpredictable. So yeah. So I am going to share few tips to handle infants, especially when you're on your own and of course, KK kan, the queue is always long. 

For Harris's appointment, I always take evening shift. Because I can go early and get an early number. If I opt for morning appointments, I have to wait until Harris wakes up, get him shower and get him ready whatsoever and I'll only be able to reach clinic at 8am and god knows by then the queue is long already. And if I take evening shift, I can always finish my work before lunch and take half day. 

So for yesterday, around 12.30pm, I drive home and reach around 1.00pm. And by the time I reach home, Harris was asleep after milk. So I prepared all the stuff. 

To bring list: 
1. Pampers. Because nurse would want to weigh the baby and the baby have to be naked. So you wouldnt want the baby to wear the same pampers right. Plus, if you're carrying infants, pampers is the essential thing to bring. 

2. Wet wipes. To wipe the butt. 

3. Nursing cover. Since Harris is fully breastfeeding, I have to be ready to feed him EVERYWHERE. And I dont buy my nursing cover. I use my large pashmina, have them pinned and customized it to cover while I am breastfeeding. Saves cost! Because nursing cover retails for RM40+ and why buy when you can use other alternatives? Buying also no problem. Hehe

4. Milk. I pump my milk daily. I havent start feeding Harris with formula milk just yet. I bring extra in case Harris wants it and if there are no proper place to breastfeed or the number came up early etc etc. We just have to be prepared. 

5. Pacifier. Some people would say pacifier is bad because it'll ruin your childs teeth development whatsoever but research expands and market sells many pacifier that is well-tested. And I need this because Harris usually wants to nyonyot on something after milk while he's still mamai. I never actually gave my baby pacifier. But during his time in hospitals, they have to give him pacifier since he cant be fed and just to mimics the act of him latching. 

6. Baby hip carrier. Harris now weighs 7.5kg and I couldnt carry him single handed. And I need both hands when it comes to handling him alone. To reach my car keys, to open the door, to reach for his book and whatnot. So carrying him in a carrier is very helpful. 

7. Baby carrier/rocker. I cant drive with him on my lap right? I alternate the usage of baby carrier and car seat. Depends on the journey. Since KK is just few 3 minutes away from my house, so I opt for baby carrier. I wanted to just walk though but I dont want Harris to be under the sun most of the time because he tends to become easily dehydrated. Its like the sun dries him up real quick. Hahaha. 

And its soooo hard to find parking spot at the clinic area so I have to come early. I usually go 15 minutes early so I have time to spare for 2nd round in finding nearby parking space. And praying hard it wont rain. 

So in order for me to carry all this stuff, I only use one bag. And not back packs. Shoulder bag is a lot easier to reach for stuffs. And I put all my stuffs along with Harris's stuff. My phone is placed inside Harris's hip carrier. They have zipped compartment so its easier. 

1st tip. Always come early. Got a nearby parking, get an early number, can go home early too.
2nd tip. Before I put Harris in the hip carrier, I make sure all the important stuffs - appointment book, phone, pacifier is within reach. So I can just reach it with one hand. 
3rd tip. After I handed the book to the nurse, I waited for my name to be called. While waiting, I only stand up somewhere near the aircond (KK tends to have bad ventilation though, i mean my place kot because its always crowded), still carrying Harris in the baby carrier. Until we got our number, only then I settle down. Open the hip carrier, and if Harris wants milk, I would feed him etc. If you do before you get your number, when your name being called, you tend to rush. So be safe. They usually take longer time before your number being called up so that's when you feed the baby. Settle down. 

And alhamdulillah, Harris has always been a good baby. And senang dipujuk. 

Thats how I survived going to the clinic alone. Based on my experience la. I mean, being a mother, you kinda have to be very observant. Check the easiest possible routes etc. And most mothers would bring strollers to the clinic but KK in my place is not suitable for it. But its a different story in HUKM. I have experience going to HUKM alone too, I mean only in the clinic alone. And this one, unavoidably you need extra hand. Depends on the place. Might share it later. 

So thats my tips. And if you have any extra tips to share, mind sharing with me? I am still a newbie mother and still loads to learn. My sharing is subjective to my situation and might differ in other people's situations. 

Wasalam. Love, Nina M. ♥ 



No comments:

Post a Comment